Monday, June 10, 2013

"Mavericks"? WTF?

Obviously, I'm bored tonight to even be taking a few minutes to type the following.


Apparently Apple is now switching randomly from feline names to beaches. I assume they ran out of cat subspecies.

I'm going to point out that there are still a LOT of felidae names to choose from:

Caracel

Smilodon

Margay

Geoffrey's Wild Cat

Serval

Colocolo

Norwegian Forest Cat

Ocelot

Kodkod


And many others.


NOT only that, but 10.3 was "Panther." Which is a genus. Not a species (okay, so was Smilodon, and they're extinct. But they were COOL).

And 10.1 (Puma) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) are the same damn animal (Mountain Lion, Cougar, Puma, are all the same creature). For the record, this particular animal has more known names than any other, with at least 40. "I'll take felidae trivia for $200, Alex."

All right. Enough procrastinating. I'm going to go see what Frank spent the day building on Minecraft.

14 comments:

Dr.M said...

Pallas cat, fishing cat, Scottish wildcat, jaguarundi, lynx, bobcat, domestic shorthair.... I mean really. Endless.

CardioNP said...

Naming the OS after a famous SF area surfing spot which is known for deaths may not be the best idea.....
Cue the Beach Boys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGqbOxzAwg

Anonymous said...

Apparently "Rush Hour Traffic Jam on 101," "Restaurants With Way Too Much Attitude" and "Aggressive Panhandlers on Market Street" were already taken?

Lisa! said...

Mavericks is where I grew up. My mom walks there every morning still. I Ike the idea of California landmarks. The cat thing, as much as I love my cats and feline trivia, it was played out. Sorry, grumpy.

Abigail Cashelle said...

Ocelot: I like it.... although I can see it being hard to pronounce

Sue said...

Where I live "Maveriks" is a roadside convenience store. Perhaps the next Apple OS series will have names like "Circle K," "Wawa." and "Flying-J."

Bobbi said...

You really were grouchy last night, weren't you? ;) I like the idea of California names for a California product. The cat names had nothing to do with anything.

Anonymous said...

Round these parts a 'Maverick' is an overpaid, over-egoed (it's a word now, deal with it), over-hyped basketball player...or a rogue cow.

Maybe they're the same thing. I don't know, I don't follow sports that much.

Anonymous said...

i was hoping for "bill" the cat.....

Alice said...

I prefer "Cheshire" myself.

Nana said...

When I think "maverick," two images come to mind...the old TV show and the former governor of Alaska. Neither particularly inspiring

Ivan Ilyich said...

I'll vote for polecat. (Yes, I know it's not a cat.)

Patti Cadwallader said...

I rather like the hairless Peterbald cat.

RehabRN said...

Well, I happen to like Maverick, since it was the title of a poem I wrote (actually part of the title).

The other part had neurologists in it.
(Probably because when I thought of mavericks in medicine, that goofy neuro I work with came to mind).

But, you Grumpy, are far more grounded than the neuro bros I'm fortunate to hand out with here at the Hotel.

 
Locations of visitors to this page