Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mary

Yesterday I left my car at Local Automotive for an oil change. Toward late afternoon I asked Mary to call and see if it was ready.

It wasn't. They'd had a busy day, with 2 guys out sick, and since my car wasn't urgent they put it at the bottom of the list and didn't get to it. To me this wasn't a big deal. It happens here, too.

But Mary decided to take a stand on my behalf, and told the guy that since this happened I shouldn't have to pay for the oil change. He agreed, and told her that if I bring it in again today they won't charge me for it.

Mary was so proud of herself. I didn't have the heart to tell her I bought the lifetime oil change for the car 12 years ago, and haven't paid for one since.

12 comments:

OMDG said...

Aw! Yeah, don't tell her. I'm sure she has fantastic negotiating skills anyway.

Anonymous said...

yeah, don't tell her, i'm sure she reads this blog everyday ;-)

Anonymous said...

So if your office gets backed up and you have to see a patient the next day instead, does Mary not charge them?

Grumpy, M.D. said...

No, but I wouldn't have expected (or asked) the place to waive my charges if that had happened. That was Mary's idea.

I don't ask for freebies. Everyone has to make a living, and I respect that.

Anonymous said...

I choose to believe that the guy who answered Mary's call had no idea you had the lifetime package. So she got the concession, even if the $ part was a wash.

Jono said...

Can I buy a lifetime neurological care contract? Your lifetime or mine? :)

Packer said...

Car is 12 years old, they lost money on that deal.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the guy knew it was free and just said it to humor her?

Anonymous said...

Mary gets an AAA+ for effort, in any case.

Laura said...

Well, for a car place, giving someone a free oil change isn't a huge deal. Especially if it's the difference between them coming to you or going somewhere else for a big thing.

skidmark said...

Anonymous @ March 28, 2012 6:31 PM said...
Maybe the guy knew it was free and just said it to humor her?

It wasn't free. Grumpy paid for it up front.

Perhaps you ought to call and make an appointment?

stay safe.

PS - yeah, I'm feeling a bit grumpy myself this AM - but I've been checking up on what them congresscritters in DC have been up to. Who wouldn't be grumpy?

Anonymous said...

how did Mary react after she read this post?

 
Locations of visitors to this page