Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Any Other Bright Ideas, Doc?

Alzheimer's is never fun, but sometimes you have to see the humor in it.

Because patients forget to do routine things, family members often try to compensate by leaving large signs around the house as cues: "remember to brush your teeth", "remember to take your pills", "remember to drink a glass of water", etc.

So today I was asking a family how this method was going with Grandpa. He lives in a condo by himself, near his son, and the family checks on him frequently.

Grandpa saw the signs all over, and for unclear reasons (there are never clear reasons with these people) assumed they were meant for his dog.

And, since his dog obviously wasn't obeying the signs, he had to do something about it.

So one day the son wandered over to find Grandpa vigorously brushing the dog's teeth.

Upon further investigation, he found that, in the week since he'd put up the signs, the dog had been receiving Alzheimer's pills (no, I don't think they helped at all), and sleeping pills (no wonder he was so easy to catch). He'd also moved the "drink water" sign from the refrigerator door to the floor next to the dog's bowl.

This also explained why the dog was wearing a pair of clean underwear, since they'd put up a note reminding Grandpa to change those daily, too.

The signs have come down, and the family is looking into care homes.

The dog has been adopted by the son's family, and is much happier (though his breath isn't as minty-fresh).

The underwear has been washed, with bleach.

14 comments:

Goose said...

I came across your blog and just wanted to tell you how much I love it! I've always thought neurological stories are interesting. I really like Oliver Sacks' books. You have to find humor in the situations you deal with. Plus I love hearing stupid people comments

quixote said...

Sure sounds like care home time. In my father-in-law's case it was when he decided the family's oil-fired furnace wasn't being properly dealt with. There he was in the basement, making sure the fire wouldn't go out because everybody else had forgotten to shovel in some coal.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the time when I was in college and at home alone. (I commuted to save money).

There was an old man on our enclosed porch pounding on the door demanding to be let in because he "lived here". He did not, obviously. I started panicking and called my Dad at work and he said to call 911. So I did. The man kept saying various things (that I can't remember) that were starting to really freak me out.

The man wandered off right before the police came and my Dad had come home since then. My Dad went over to talk to the Police and found out that this man had Alzheimer's and was confused as to where he lived. The police never came to talk to me, and the man did find his way home. He actually just lived down the street.

Call Me Bob said...

Dog in underwear... that image has made my day; too bad for the reprising dog breath though :( -I used to brush my dogs teeth. It never really helped that much.

Anonymous said...

I was laughing so much on this computer stool I nearly fell off. The images, and imagining the poor old man's diligence (and patience) at performing the duties as admonished with pooch merely going along with the whole thing just nearly did me in.
Thanks, for the unexpected hilarity Dr. G.

DreamingTree said...

Imagine how much energy he was putting into that dog! It certainly gave him something to do each day.

Willy said...

Do you think he could dog-sit my dog? I'm sure he would get much more attention that way!

Jeni said...

This reminded me of my Grandfather who they said had "hardening of the arteries" which was what dementia/Alzheimer's was generally called 50 years ago. You had to find the humor in many of the situations created by his mental issues or else you'd go completely batty or horribly depressed. It's also a great way to cope with other illnesses too. I used the humor theory wherever/whenever possible while dealing with chemo/radiation/surgery/physical therapy needed to treat colo-rectal cancer and it sure did help my own attitude -maybe my kids' then too as it would lessen the worry and stressors brought on all of us then.

Theresa said...

What a heartwarming and funny story. I know the subject matter is not something to smile at but nonetheless, what a sweet story.

Thanks for sharing that.

S3XinthePantry said...

Ah, the best laid plans....

One Nurse said...

This is a priceless post!!! Definately time for an intervention! I absolutely love Alzheimer patients. The crazier the better! As long as they are not too combative that is.

Aura said...

Please tell me you're joking about the pills.

Anonymous said...

That's a very sweet story. I kind of feel bad when they start forgetting to pick up their meds at the pharmacy...ironic.

Anonymous said...

As a veterinarian, I love this story!

 
Locations of visitors to this page