Thursday, May 21, 2009

Does Anyone Else Think This is Weird?

For the record, I'm not in Cincinnati. In fact I'm nowhere near it. I am easily one LONG day's drive from there, maybe more. Keep this in mind. I have nothing against Cincinnati, or anyone living there, but I am not even close to the place. I've never been there.

So today, for no apparent reason, a guy (not even a patient) calls my office. Because of his yelling at my secretary I decided to set down my Diet Coke, get on the phone, and deal with him myself (most docs hide from confrontation- when I'm in the right mood I'll go looking for it).

Dr. Grumpy: "Hello?"

Mr. Jackass: "I want to talk to the doctor NOW!"

Dr. Grumpy: "This is the doctor."

Mr. Jackass: "I need to know which hospitals are certified stroke centers!"

Dr. Grumpy: "Um, there's St. Hubbins, Pain Mountain, House of God..."

Mr. Jackass: "NO! Not here you idiot! I mean in CINCINNATI!!! I need to know the hospitals in Cincinati that are stroke certified!"

Dr. Grumpy: "Jeez, uh, I have no idea. I mean, I've never been to Cincinnati. I have no idea what hospitals are there at all."

Mr. Jackass: "You're a f--k--g neurologist's office, aren't you?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes, but we're nowhere near Cincinnati."

Mr. Jackass: "So what! You should know this shit! It should be part of your damn training!"

Dr. Grumpy: "Look..."

Mr. Jackass: "You are absolutely NO help to me." (hangs up).


The sonuvabitch. He beat me to the hang up, too.

15 comments:

Future Trauma Nurse said...

I just read your entire blog from beginning to end...I love it! Keep up the great work!

ShrinkingDoc said...

This is one example of why I wouldn't do it over. Why the hell would someone think you would KNOW this and why would he think it's OK abusively yell at you and your staff? Ever heard of GOOGLE, buddy?

I guess if I opened a gluten-free bakery or roasted coffee at my local coffee shop, people would figure out something to yell about there, too. Gotta go buy a Powerball ticket.

GingerJar said...

What??? He thought you were "DR. GOD?" If you were...you could have beat him to the hang up...dang it! LOL...people...there is an idiot born every minute.

Rx Intern said...

HAHAHA, love the last line.

The most I need to know is where all the pharmacies in town are, and that's all type up on my cheat sheet with addresses too :D

Tex said...

I woulda gave him the number to a Domino's Pizza, or Burger King in Cincy....the a-hole!

Fiz said...

What a cretin!

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Yes, people think we're in charge of giving them driving directions and phone numbers too. My favorite is when someone picks an item off the shelf and asks me, "Would this be cheaper at Wal-Mart?"

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Yeah, and would they do that at BK? Like order a Whopper and then ask "is this cheaper at McD's?"

Miss Chevious said...

You must have missed the "here's all the 'certified stroke centers in Cincinnati' day in Medical School.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Obviously. I must have been hung over that day.

knitalot3 said...

If you would have hung up first, he probably would have just called back. What an idiot!

Matt M said...

Dr. Grumpy: You missed a number of diagnostic clues here. This man was about to stroke out, On The Phone! You should have advised him to take off his clothes, place his feet in a bowl of mayo, and Google Stroke Centers Cincinnati.

It works for me.

DreamingTree said...

I'm impressed that you don't hide from confrontation. Besides, it gives you good blog material.

Viv said...

Just spent a couple of hours reading your blog (all of it), and enjoyed it so much. Your stories are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

They just come out of the woodwork, don't they?

 
Locations of visitors to this page