Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Where Do We Find These People?

My last patient yesterday was an elderly lady with back pain. I'd ordered on MRI of her low back, and the radiologist had commented "Incidental note is made of a previous hysterectomy". So the patient, of course, brought it up.

Mrs. Lumbarpain: "Doctor, the radiologist mentioned he could see I'd had a hysterectomy, how does that relate to my back pain?"

Dr. Grumpy: "It doesn't, some radiologists just comment on anything they notice, even if it's not related to the study".

Mrs. Lumbarpain: "Okay, but my hysterectomy was 40 years ago. Wouldn't it have grown back by now?"

7 comments:

Pamela Foreman said...

That gave me a good chuckle this morning! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Lol! I love how you have to kind of come up with a logical explanation for that woman.

Filet-o-bitch RPh said...

really? wow! I love the women that tell me their uterus is dropping and they need some kind of sling for it. Good luck finding one.

grayspirit said...

Hmmmm ... how long does it take for a gall bladder to grow back?

Kim said...

Isn't it amazing how little some people know about their own bodies. I had a 13 year old patient several years ago in another state. She was 17 weeks pregnant, in preterm labor that couldn't be stopped so since she wasn't at viability yet she was going to miscarry. I was speechless when the patient's mother asked us if we could take the baby out of her daughters body and put it in hers. This comment was hard to respond to. If the 13 year old had said it I wouldn't have been so stunned speechless... but it was a woman in her mid 30's.

devianty said...

so nice to visiting you good post keep writing and sharing

Anonymous said...

OMG, and these are the same folks who trundle about in a two ton weapon of mass destruction while texting/talking...and they VOTE!

Jesus wept.

 
Locations of visitors to this page